Wednesday, February 18, 2009

New Things, Old Things

Here is a picture of a necklace I made last year while I was here. I sold it that summer on the Vineyard to a stylish woman in her 70s. It was perfect on her. I love when that happens.
The other things are weird vegetation, an old botanical studies book and original vintage photo of NYC I found at the San Telmo Sunday flea market, and of course, a bird reference....

I will be starting a jewelry course here In Buenos Aires tomorrow. Exciting! I am going to be learning the ancient art of wax carving for jewelry design, so that my original designs can then be cast in silver and incorporated into my necklaces and earrings. It's something I have wanted to learn for a long time and so I bought a small kit and brought it with me here, thinking I would teach myself. Yesterday, while walking around the (boiling) city looking for jewelry supply shops, we were told about a school in the neighborhood, a very good jewelry school. We went to check it out and found that a wax carving course was starting up in two days and will be taught by the only teacher there who speaks (or rather, wants to practice his) English! What a stroke of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment